Sections                              More                                    Follow

  • Facebook

The Team

Donate

©2019 by Nature's Insider. Proudly created with Wix.com

  • Logan Young

5 Cities with the Best Climate Action Plans



Cities have always been known to cause and have a lot of environmental problems. From their air pollution problems to their water and waste management. Cities are very important in the fight against climate change. They can make changes more quickly than any government and their impact can be just as large. Luckily, many cities are now starting to take it upon themselves to clean up their act. In the next few paragraphs, we will be having a look at the top 5 cities that are making a conscious decision to reverse their problems and trying to make a positive impact on the planet.


1. Vancouver, British Columbia



Vancouver has a long history in supporting climate action. According to the city of Vancouver, its climate strategy consists of milestones. By 2030 they’d like to be 50% of their energy supply coming from renewables and 100% before 2050. Currently, Vancouver runs on 31% renewables. Another goal on their agenda worth pointing out, is their stretch goal of reducing their total carbon pollution by 80% before 2050.

Interesting Fact about British Columbia: There are more than 270 clean technology companies in British Columbia




2. Reykjavik, Iceland



Iceland is a country that may be ahead of anyone else taking part in climate action. Reykjavik and the rest of Iceland have already been able to succeed at generating 100% of their electricity from renewable energy sources. 75% from Large Hydro and the other 25% from geothermal(Paul, 2012). Since they don’t have to worry too much about energy, Reykjavik can focus on other important tasks like tackling emissions.


Implemented on their climate action plan, is the goal to become carbon-neutral by 2040. One of the plans to do this is by increasing the number of cyclists, buses, and accessibility.




3. Singapore



Singapore is taking very climate change seriously. Why? Well, Singapore is a low-lying island-state, meaning they are more vulnerable to climate change issues like flooding and rising sea levels. But they have a plan. According to their climate action plan, their main goal is working on reducing their emissions by 36% below 2005 levels by 2030. While also focusing on other problems like improving energy efficiency, develop low-carbon tech, and stabilize their emissions with a perceived peak by 2030.




4. Portland, Oregon



Making our way back into the US, Portland has made quite the roadmap to achieve its 2030 climate action plans. Here are the top 5 tasks that will make the biggest impact:

  • Making Homes & Businesses 25% more energy efficient

  • Generate or Purchase 100% Renewable

  • Increase Accessibility for 80% of the residents and tourists

  • Increase the use of Electric Vehicles & low-carbon vehicles

  • Implement a local food system

With all that being said, they have already made great strides by reducing their city operation emissions by 46% since 2007 and 21% of total emissions since 1990.


5. Calgary, Alberta



If you didn’t already know, Calgary is the cleanest city in the world compared to population. To keep up with this acknowledgment, they plan to do even better. Their goal is to increase their efforts on recycling and reusing by eliminating 70% amount of materials from landing in landfills by 2025. Saving an estimated 85 million kilograms of food and other materials from landing in landfills.


Having cities with a great climate action plan like the ones listed above is what we need. Cities have more control over their situation, inevitably helping everyone around them. What other cities did we miss? Let us know in the comments!


Did you find this interesting? Please share, follow, and comment!



References:

Vancouver, City of. “Targets and Actions.” City of Vancouver, vancouver.ca/green-vancouver/goals-and-target.aspx.


Gipe, Paul. “Iceland: A 100% Renewables Example in the Modern Era.” RenewEconomy, 9 Nov. 2012, reneweconomy.com.au/iceland-a-100-renewables-example-in-the-modern-era-56428/.


Lalji , Kamil. “‘Too Good to Waste’ – All You Need to Know about Calgary's Green Cart Program.” Real Estate Webmasters, 2017, www.yycreadvisors.com/blog/too-good-to-waste-all-you-need-to-know-about-calgarys-green-cart-program.html.


NCCS. “Take Action Today For a Carbon Efficient Singapore .” National Climate Change Secretariat, 2016, sustainabledevelopment.un.org/content/documents/1545Climate_Action_Plan_Publication_Part_1.pdf.


Hreinn. “Reykjavík and Climate.” City of Reykjavík, 30 Sept. 2019, reykjavik.is/en/reykjavik-and-climate.